Aims / Objectives
Through studying music students become aware of how musicians work and communicate. The aim is to enable students to:
1. enjoy lifelong engagement with music
2. become informed, reflective and critical practitioners in the field of music
3. understand the dynamic and changing nature of music
4. explore and value the diversity of music across time, place and cultures
5. express ideas with confidence and competence
6. develop perceptual and analytical skills
7. and in addition, the aim of the music course at SL and HL is to enable students to
develop their knowledge and potential as musicians, both personally and collaboratively.
Having followed the music course at SL or HL, students will develop and are expected to demonstrate the following skills:
1. complete comparative analysis of music in relation to time, place and cultures
2. use appropriate musical terminology to describe and reflect their critical understanding of music
3. creative skills through exploration, control and development of musical elements
4. performance skills through solo or group music making
6. critical-thinking skills through reflective thought.
Students are assessed in three components.
- Musical Perception