Wrapping up the First Semester, 2017
The Winter Break is right around the corner, and with it comes a break in sports for 3 weeks that certainly provides everyone with some quality time to recuperate both physically and mentally. Our last week of sports saw many games with every HS and MS team having at least one match, making it a wonderful way to finish the semester.
Starting on Monday, December 4, all four HS Dragons basketball teams were in action versus the CAJ Knights. The girls were hosted at CAJ, while the boys hosted the Knights at YIS. All matches were relatively tight affairs but if there was ever a case to support the term 'home court advantage' it was this day, as both the girls teams lost, while both the boys teams put together convincing wins against an always solid CAJ.
On Friday, December 8, the HS Field Hockey girls welcomed BST to a frigid YCAC in the first of three meetings between the teams this season. Round One went to YIS, as the girls pulled out a last minute victory, scoring with seconds left on the clock to win 2-1.
It was a quick turn around for the girls field hockey team, as they made the long trek up to CAJ to take on the Knights the following day. Perhaps because of this, but also due to a number of missing starters, the girls struggled on the offensive, losing 3-0. However, missing so many regulars did allow some new players to get some playing time which provides experience to develop the team.
On Saturday, December 9, the MS Girls Soccer A and B teams hosted BST and CAJ at the YCAC. Neither team managed to pull out a win on the day, finishing with 3 losses and a draw, but with a little more experience and a few more bounces of the ball in our direction, the results could certainly have been different. On the same day, the MS Boys Basketball C, B, and A teams took on Nishimachi at YIS. Team B started things off with a solid win, before Team A ran into some decisive shooting from the Vikings. Team C wrapped things up on a high note, though, with a great win, allowing no goals to the Vikings in the 4th quarter.
The 2017 matches wrapped up this past Monday, with the HS Boys Basketball team heading up to Zama. The JV team started things off with what will go down as the game of the year so far. In a see-saw contest, the boys were down by three with time running out, when the Dragons slipped in a buzzer-beater 3-pointer to force the game into overtime. The boys managed to snatch the victory in overtime against a very tough opponent. The Varsity team faced a very strong Zama squad that had quite a bit more depth and health, making it a difficult game for the team..
Looking forward to January, I hope everyone comes back from the break rested up and ready to hit the pitch or court, as there is quite a bit of sports action as soon as we get back!
- Wed Jan 10, 4:30 pm - HS Girls Field Hockey take on CAJ at the YCAC, in the second meeting of the teams.
- Wed Jan 10, 5:00 pm - HS Varsity and JV Girls welcome Zama to YIS, with JV starting things off, followed by Varsity.
- Thur Jan 11, 2:00 pm to Sat Jan 13 - HS JV Boys Basketball heads off to Canadian Academy for their annual WJAA JV Boys Basketball Tournament which goes all day Friday and Saturday.
- Fri Jan 12, 9:30 am to Sat Jan 13 - HS JV Girls Basketball host the annual WJAA JV Girls Basketball Tournament with guest schools, St. Maur, Sacred Heart, Canadian Academy, Senri-Osaka, and Nagoya all joining in the fun.
- Sat Jan 13, 9:00 am - MS Girls Soccer are at the YCAC hosting ASIJ and NIS with both the A and B teams playing each visiting school once..
- Sat Jan 13, 10:30 am - HS Girls Field Hockey heads to ASIJ to take on the Mustangs and BST in a double header.
- Sat Jan 13, 1:00 pm - MS Boys Basketball team head to St.Marys to take on the Titans with C team playing first followed by B team, then A team.
See all the details on the school calendar.
Enjoy the break, see you in January, and as always, GO DRAGONS!