by Brinya Tananone, Athletics Director
It was a bit of a slow week in terms of sports. There were "only" 4 matches since the last write up, but "slow" is certainly never the case in the life of a YIS student athlete or YIS student for that matter. With PTSCs, Personal Project, Expedition preparation, homework, school work, practices, clubs, field trips, not to mention social engagements it is a minor miracle that they have the time to breath let alone play games. However, somehow, someway, YIS students balance it all...it speaks to the power of sports that despite all their other important obligations, they are committed to making the time to represent YIS. Now then, on to the week that was YIS athletics.
The varsity boys had themselves quite the week, starting things off this past Wednesday, when they travelled to Kinnick and became entrenched in a barn burner of a game. A combined 10 goals were scored but unfortunately, our boys came out on the wrong end with a 6-4 defeat. However, with 9 goals in their first two games of the season, it is safe to say the offense is clicking. The defense matched the offenses prowess the next time out though, as this past Friday the boys shut out St.Maur 1-0. The JV boys also took the field on this day, and made it a clean sweep of the Cougars with a 2-1 victory.
Meanwhile, the MS Girls basketball team tipped off their season in fine fashion, sweeping St. Maur on Thursday night in front of a packed YIS gym. YIS B team started things off with a solid 28-19 victory over the Cougars, and A team would not be out done, pulling away from the Cougars in the second half, with the final score being 42-19.
Last but not least, the varsity girls wrapped up the past week of sports (at least since the last update) with a game played in a torrential downpour up at the YCAC against Seisen. In conditions perhaps more suitable for a swim meet than a soccer match, the girls dominated possession for large portions of the game, but unfortunately, could not put more than one past the Seisen keeper, a late counter strike by Seisen tied things up and the match would end 1-1.
Overall, a successful week of sports for the Dragons, which hopefully continues this week as the first tournaments of Season 3 are this week/weekend!
- Thur Mar 8, 12:00 pm - HS Varsity Girls Soccer departs for their annual WJAA tournament being hosted this year at MC Perry in Iwakuni. Games will be played all day on Friday and Saturday.
- Thur Mar 8, 2:00 pm - HS Varsity Boys Soccer departs for their annual WJAA tournament being hosted this year at Canadian Academy in Kobe. Games will be played all day on Friday and Saturday.
- Sat/Sun Mar 10 & 11 - HS JV Boys Soccer partakes in the RECCOSS Cup being hosted at the German School in Yokohama.
- Sat Mar 10, 9:00 am - MS Girls Basketball takes on Seisen at YIS with A team tipping things off, followed by B and C teams respectively.
- Mon Mar 12, 4:45 pm - HS Girls Soccer plays a friendly match against BST up at the YCAC.
See all the details on the school calendar.
Good luck to all our teams this coming week, and as always, GO DRAGONS!