Season 2 athletics got underway back in October and, as is the case with every season, it has been a slow and steady build ever since, culminating in this, the "weekend of championships". Each player on every team has put in an incredible amount of time and energy to get to this point. Each coach has every game planned, strategized (and probably prayed a little!) to get to this point. Meanwhile, every Athletics Director has dotted every I and crossed every T, to best ensure that each tournament runs smoothly, and ends with everyone being healthy.
It is an exciting time of every season, and I am sure each team aspires to bring home the championship to celebrate with their family and peers. However, as many a parent has surely uttered in some sort of variation, "just do your best, have fun, and enjoy the experience." Whether you are competing in Busan, Seoul, Osaka, Tokyo or right here in Yokohama, we will be cheering for you all regardless of the results at the end of the day!
A quick final recap of the games that took place this past week in YIS athletics:
The HS girls basketball teams wrapped up their regular season with a final home game against St. Maur on Wednesday the 24th as well as away to Seisen this past Monday. The St. Maur game served also as a defacto senior night for both teams, and as such both teams came out fired up to send their seniors out with a win. Unfortunately for our girls, though they played some of their best basketball of the season it was not to be, as they fell to both St. Maur and Seisen in agonizing fashion. For the JV girls, it was a different story, and the girls capped their season with a 2 point victory over St. Maur they they fell by 2 points to Seisen.
The MS boys basketball team also closed out there regular season against St. Maur on Thursday and helped avenge the varsity girls' loss by taking both the C team game as well as the A team game in convincing fashion. The future is certainly bright for the YIS basketball teams.
Finally, the MS girls soccer team wrapped up their regular season up at the YCAC against Sacred Heart. Despite losing, in what was a rematch of games played earlier in the year, it proved to be a testament to how far along our girls have improved.
Certainly no lull this week as the aforementioned "weekend of championships" is upon us and season 2 wraps up. Hopefully, all that hard work for the past 2 and half months will be rewarded with a successful tournament!
- Thur Feb 1, 5:00 pm - MS Girls Soccer closes out their home schedule with a match against St. Maur up at the YCAC (A Only).
- Thur Feb 1, 9:30 am - HS Boys Varsity Basketball departs for their annual AISA Tournament being hosted this year at Seoul International School. (Tournament runs all day Friday and Saturday)
- Thur Feb 1, 9:30 am - HS Girls Varsity Basketball departs for their annual AISA Tournament being hosted this year at Busan International Foreign School. (Tournament runs all day Friday and Saturday)
- Sat Feb 3, 10:00 am - MS Girls Soccer partake in their end of the year soccer tournament being hosted at ASIJ. (A Only)
- Sat Feb 3, 10:00 am - MS Boys Basketball partake in their end of the year basketball tournament being hosted at ASIJ. (A and B Only)
- Sat Feb 3, 9:00 am - HS Girls Field Hockey host the KANTO Field Hockey Championships @ the YCAC with CAJ, ASIJ, and BST joining in the festivities.
See all the details on the school calendar.
Good luck to all our teams this coming week, and as always, GO DRAGONS!