It's good to see the warmer weather! Spring is finally here and summer will follow hard on its heels. Only seven weeks left from today. As I write, the grade 9 and 10 students have begun their annual exams and things seem to have got off to a smooth start. Of course, the seniors have also begun their IBDP exams, which is a big task for them. Our thoughts and best wishes are with them. In the next weeks, we will have a very busy time. In no particular order, we will have the HS Annual Awards, HS Graduation, field trips and end of semester report cards. A busy time, indeed. At the same time, planning is well underway for the next academic year.
HS Annual Awards
This ceremony will be held on Wednesday, June 15, in the Auditorium. Awards presented will include:
- Kerr Plaque - citizenship award to the Senior student who staff feel has been a great ambassador for the school, has been actively involved in school life and who has gone above and beyond expectations.
- CIS Internationalism Award - given to either an individual high school student or group of students for their contribution to internationalism within the school community.
- EARCOS Global Citizen – given to a grade 11 student who staff feel has a strong sense of community and is strongly committed to engagement and action to make the world a better place. Finally, this student is able to interact and communicate effectively with people from all walks of life.
- MYP Academic Awards will be given to those grade 9 & 10 students who achieve a final level of achievement of 7 in four or more subjects plus the top descriptor – Highly Developed – in two or more Approaches to Learning (AtL).
- Senior Academic awards – Gold and Silver to grade 11 and 12 students with highest and second highest GPA scores.
- JCIS award – given to a grade 11 student who staff feel has made a significant contribution to the promotion of Japanese culture.
- Athlete of the Year
- Dramatist of the Year
- Musician of the Year
- Dancer of the Year
As with the Sports Awards, parents of students receiving awards will be notified in advance.
This will be held in the Gymnasium on Saturday, June 4, starting at 4.00pm. This is a major event in the life of both our senior students and our school. This is our chance to say goodbye and thank you for these students' contribution to our school.
Our senior students goodbye trip will start on Monday, May 23 and they will return on Thursday the 26th. We will once again use the excellent staff and facilities of Canyons outdoor team.
This year the event will be held in Yokohama, at Motion Blue in the Red Brick warehouse on Saturday, May 30, starting from 6.30pm.