Lots happened in the world of YIS sports since last week's post. Every team took to the court or pitch at least once and, for those partaking in tournaments, much more. With so much to cover, let's jump right into the action and rehash the week that was in YIS athletics.
The JV boys basketball team were in Kobe for the WJAA JV Boys Basketball tournament. After a tough Friday, where the team lost a number of close matches to Hokkaido and CA, the boys turned it around on Saturday. They managed to get a bit of revenge when they beat Hokkaido in the 3rd place game to secure the bronze trophy. Then, after a long weekend of games, the boys were back in action on Monday to take on the very physical and skilled Yokota team. The boys battled hard, and kept the game close throughout, but by the end, with the team reduced to 5 healthy players, they lost 37-54. The varsity boys also took on Yokota this past Monday, and same as the JV, they battled and kept the game close for 3 quarters, but the rust from 3 weeks off clearly was a factor and it eventually caught up, as the boys fell 39-67.
Meanwhile, the JV girls basketball team hosted the WJAA JV Girls tournament in the home of the Dragons, the YIS gym. Over the course of the next 2 days, inspired and supported by a raucous home crowd, the girls played some fantastic basketball, and swept through the preliminary rounds with an unblemished record of 3-0. This set up a final with Osaka, where at halftime the score was 14-13. In the second half though the girls played, in what their coach described as their best basketball of the year, pulling away for a final score of 38-22, and the title of WJAA JV Girls Champions! Congratulations Girls!
For the other YIS teams in action, their tournaments will be coming up soon, but in the meantime, a quick recap of their weekends. The MS boys basketball team took on traditional KANTO powerhouse St. Marys at St. Marys and though all 3 teams lost, each was satisfied with their result, as no team lost by more than 4 points and left feeling they could pull out a win in a rematch. The MS girls were up at the YCAC taking on Nishimachi and ASIJ, and while Nishimachi proved to be a bit strong the girls were able to fight their way to a 2-2 draw with the Mustangs of ASIJ. Finally, the HS girls field hockey team travelled to ASIJ, to take on BST and the hosts, ASIJ and finished the day with a win and a loss, taking BST 3-0, before losing late to ASIJ 2-0.
Lots of matches and tournaments the rest of the week, and into the next. Hope everyone has a chance to come out and cheer on the Dragons!
- Wed Jan 17, 4:30 pm - HS Varsity and Junior Varsity Boys Basketball welcome St.Maurs to YIS in what will be their final home games of the season.
- Thur Jan 18, 4:30 pm - MS Boys Basketball B team takes on BST in a friendly match here at YIS
- Thur Jan 18, 2:00 pm - HS Varsity Girls Basketball heads to Canadian Academy in Kobe for their annual WJAA Varsity Girls tournament which goes all day Friday and Saturday.
- Fri Jan 19, 7:30 am - HS Varsity Boys head to Senri-Osaka International School for their annual WJAA Varsity Boys Basketball tournament which goes on all day Friday and Saturday.
- Sat Jan 20, 10:00 am - MS Boys Basketball takes on ASIJ at YIS with B team followed by A.
- Wed Jan 24, 4:30 pm - HS Varsity and Junior Varsity Girls Basketball welcome St.Maurs to YIS in what will be their final home games of the season.
- Thur Jan 25, 4:30 pm - MS Boys Basketball welcomes St. Maurs to YIS for their final home games of the season with C team followed by A.
See all the details on the school calendar.
Good luck to all our teams this coming week, and as always, GO DRAGONS!