There is an overused idiom that 'time flies when you are having fun'. Whether or not everyone has been having fun I cannot say (though I hope everyone has), but time has certainly flown by, as the 1st season of athletics is wrapping up this week for a number of our teams with their respective AISA tournaments!
This Thursday, our HS Boys and Girls Cross Country teams head to Seoul, our HS Boys Volleyball team trains it down to Osaka, while our HS Girls Volleyball get to enjoy the cozy confines of YIS as they host the AISA girls volleyball tournament beginning Friday morning. However, before we get ahead of ourselves, let's take a look back at the week that was in YIS athletics.
The HS girls volleyball finished up their regular season with games against Seisen and St. Maur on Wednesday and Friday respectively. It was certainly a tale of two teams, as both the Varsity and JV struggled against Seisen losing in straight sets before rebounding against St. Maur winning 2 sets to 0 for the JV, and in what was the game of the year so far, 3 sets to 2 for the Varsity.
The MS Girls Volleyball teams also had two matches this past week, as they took on St. Maur on Thursday, followed by Seisen on Saturday. In the exact opposite of the HS Girls, the MS girls enjoyed a thrilling game against St. Maur on Thursday taking the match 2 sets to 1, before losing to Seisen in straight sets on Saturday.
Meanwhile, the MS Boys Soccer had their best week of season so far, as they went undefeated against St.Maur and CAJ on Thursday and Friday respectively. The boys B and A teams battled to 0-0 and 2-2 draws against St. Maur, then on Saturday against CAJ, the A team won 3-1, the B team followed with a 2-1 victory and C team made it a perfect afternoon with another 2-1 result. Not a bad way to head into Expeditions and the Fall Break!
Last but not least the HS and MS Boys and Girls Cross Country teams closed out the regular season as they partook in the races out at Tama Hills. As has been the case all season, it was a successful day as many runners set personal or season best marks.
With the MS away, there is no MS games this week, but with AISA just around the corner there is plenty of athletics going on this week.
- Thurs Oct 19, 9:30 am - HS Boys and Girls depart for Haneda as they make their way to Seoul, Korea for the AISA CC Tournament.
- Thurs Oct 19, 2:00 pm - HS Varsity Boys Volleyball depart for Shin-Yokohama as they make their way to Osaka, Japan for the AISA Boys Volleyball Tournament.
- Thurs Oct 19, 4:00 pm - Visiting schools from Busan, Seoul, and Osaka arrive for the AISA Girls Volleyball Tournament being hosted by YIS.
- Fri Oct 20, 9:30 am - AISA Girls Volleyball Tournament kicks off with YIS taking on Busan International Foreign School.
- Sat Oct 21, 8:30 am - AISA Girls Volleyball Tournament continues with elimination play. Please check our website AISA Girls Volleyball for more details.
See all the details on the school calendar.
Good luck to all our teams this coming week, and as always, GO DRAGONS!