A great meal and a friendly smile from Dragon Dining await you in the YIS cafeteria where the diverse international team happily provide for the varied catering needs of the school. Located centrally on the ground floor of the Inge Building next to the herb garden and playground, Dragon Dining offer a fresh, creative, nutritious and environmentally responsible approach to school food. Understanding the important link between nutrition and student well-being, we follow the guidelines of the Children’s Food Trust and use the United Kingdom's Soil Association's Food For Life Gold Program as a benchmark for our own quality of service.
All our meals are prepared daily on site with weekly menus featuring dishes from around the world. We are proud to offer a wide range of western, Asian, vegan and vegetarian choices. Focusing on fresh, regionally sourced ingredients – including some vegetables and herbs grown on campus in collaboration with students, we relish the opportunity to create from scratch, beautiful & natural meals from simple high quality ingredients.
Cafeteria Service in 2020-21
In light of the continuing health risks of the COVID-19 pandemic, we have worked closely with the school administration to plan various health and safety modifications that will enhance protection against the spread of the virus. These changes include the following:
- The fingerprint sensor checkout system has been replaced with a contactless plastic card that can complete the checkout process in a fraction of a second by briefly holding the card just above the card reader without actually making physical contact. Cards are issued to students at the beginning of the year or upon arrival. For elementary students, homeroom teachers keep the cards in the classroom, but older students will be expected to carry their cards with them. If you forget your card, you can always use your family ID code, but the express lane for those using the contactless cards will offer a much faster checkout experience.
- The flow of the lines has been realigned to speed the process of picking up and checking out meals. Students should maintain appropriate physical distance while queuing in line.
- Buffet service is suspended for the foreseeable future and all main meals and sides are individually plated. Likewise, drinks are served in individual glasses rather than from drink serving machines. Students are encouraged to bring their own water bottles.
- All snacks are individually wrapped. Although unfortunately this will mean an increase in packaging waste, we feel it is a necessary precaution.
- Lunchtimes are staggered and students asked to spread out as much as possible. Stickers have been placed on tables/chairs to indicate appropriate distancing. For the more crowded secondary student lunchtime, students are able to use other areas, and additional outdoor seating has been ordered.
- Doors and windows will be kept open during mealtimes to ensure good cross-ventilation.
- All Dragon Dining staff will wear masks and gloves, and adhere to strict health and hygiene practices.
- Kitchen and cafeteria cleaning and disinfection routines have been made more thorough and frequent.
Additionally, school staff will be establishing routines to ensure that students wash their hands thoroughly or use hand sanitizer before and after using the cafeteria.
We look forward to seeing you soon and wish you a healthy and happy school year. Our website provides more information on our sourcing, the nutritional qualities of the food we provide and our activities at school and beyond. We can be contacted at email@example.com should you have any questions.
The Dragon Dining Team