Welcome to the 2017-18 school year and a special warm welcome to our new families! We look forward to a great year and hope that you and your child(ren) will settle in very quickly. We are here to help!
We are the Parent Teacher Student Association (PTSA), which helps build community and support the mission of YIS. Throughout the year, PTSA organizes many events, activities, classes, special outings and coffee and conversation mornings for parents. The PTSA also has a crucial role in supporting educational programs for our children at YIS, by giving our time and knowledge and raising funds. In the 2016-17 academic year, we spent over 3.8 million yen on teacher-requested grants for things like visiting artists and performers, library furniture, cafeteria audio system upgrade, Cambodia school building project and more. Please see the PTSA website for a complete list of the grants from last year.
We encourage you to get involved in PTSA activities, for fun, to meet other parents, to learn about the school, and to support our children’s education. To stay informed, please read/visit the following:
- PTSA page on the YIS website For information on how to best navigate the PTSA webpage, please read PTSA Communications - FAQ.
- Monthly PTSA President’s Message (which will be emailed to you at the beginning of each month).
- PTSA Facebook page - make sure to ‘like’ and ‘follow’ us.
Our first social gathering of the year will be the Welcome Back Coffee Morning on Thursday, August 31, at 8:30 am in the school cafeteria. Please join us - it is a great opportunity to meet new people and learn about the many ways you can get involved in YIS and the local community. As in previous years, we have a variety of different local organizations participating as well as details of PTSA-organized activities and classes. Then on Tuesday, September 12th, we have our first monthly PTSA meeting of the year, and we welcome all parents to join!
PTSA has also arranged coffee mornings for each grade so that new parents and returning parents have the opportunity to get to know one another. These coffee mornings will be in the ICJC (International Center for Japanese Culture – near the gym) or in the cafeteria. Please see the list of PTSA grade level coffee mornings on this page or the PTSA calendar on the website for more details.
We encourage everyone in the community to become active members of the PTSA. We are always looking for new ideas and there are many ways to get involved. To find out more about PTSA volunteer opportunities and to sign up for a volunteer position please fill out this form. If you have any questions don’t hesitate to email us at firstname.lastname@example.org, come talk us at the next PTSA meeting or just stop us for a chat any time around school. We look forward to seeing you soon. Thanking you in advance for your support.
PTSA Key Events - Fall 2017
Thursday, Aug 31 - Welcome Back Coffee Morning
- 8:30am – 10:30am - Cafeteria
- Come meet new people and learn about YIS events, parent activities, community organizations and more....
- Meet the YIS Senior Leadership Team and the PTSA Committee
Friday, Sep 8 and Oct 6 - Food Fair Coordination Meeting
- 8:45 - 10:00am - Cafeteria
- Come and learn how you can participate in this year’s Food Fair, the major fundraising event of the year, with proceeds helping to support a broad range of programs that significantly enhance the academic and social experience of our students.
Tuesday, Sep 12 - PTSA Meeting & Earthquake Preparedness Presentation
- 8:45 – 11:00 am - Loft
- Presentation from NPO WaNavi
Saturday Sep 23 - BBQ Fiesta
- 6:30 - 9:30 pm - Playground & Cafeteria
- Evening social event for parents and faculty.
- Teacher band will entertain again this year!!
Tuesday, Oct 10 - PTSA Meeting
- 8:45 – 10:30 am – Cafeteria
- All are welcome!
Sunday, Nov 5 - YIS Food Fair
- 9:30am - 3:30pm - YIS main campus
- Come join the fun - a day-long celebration of our multicultural community! Enjoy food from many different countries, Game Galaxy (kid’s carnival), Raffle, White Elephant Flea Market, musical entertainment, vendors and much more.
Wednesday, Nov 22 - PTSA Grants Approval Meeting
- 8:45 - 11:00 am - Loft
- Grant proposals submitted at the beginning of the school year are reviewed and voted upon. Please join!
Tuesday, Dec 5 - PTSA Meeting
- 8:45 - 10:30 am - Loft
- All are welcome!
All grade level coffee mornings will be held in the ICJC from 9:00 – 10:30 am (unless otherwise noted). Please check the PTSA calendar for any last-minute changes.
|Grade 1||August 25|
|Grade 2||August 28|
|Grade 3||August 29|
|Grade 4||August 30|
|Grade 5||September 1|
|Grade 6||September 4|
|Grade 7||September 5|
|Grade 8||September 6|
|Grade 9||September 11|
|Grade 10||September 13|
|Grade 11||September 14|
|Grade 12||September 19|