Thank you for your interest in applying to Yokohama International School. The step-by-step process for applying to YIS is shown below. In addition, we encourage families to visit the school if possible. Visits may be arranged either before or after you submit an application.
1) Review Our Admissions Policy
If you have not already done so, please review our Admissions Policy, in particular the sections on Eligibility Requirements and Application Timing. If you have any questions about our policy, the eligibility of your child(ren) or application deadlines, please contact our admissions office.
2) Request Application
Once you are ready to apply, please fill in our application request form to request a link to our online application. In the application request form you will be asked to provide the following information:
- Name, nationality and date of birth of applicant
- Names and nationalities of both parents or guardians
- Names and dates of birth of any siblings applying at the same time
- Name and location of applicant’s current school, present grade and dates attended
- Your current home address and telephone number
- Desired date of enrollment at YIS
- Request for online or paper-based application
Note: If requesting applications for more than one child, you need only submit the application request form once. Just enter the oldest child’s information under “Student Information” and then include information for additional child(ren) in the “Applying with Siblings” field.
3) Admissions Office Sends You Application Materials
After we have received your application request, we will send you application materials via an email with a link to our online application form. If we have some question regarding the eligibility of your child(ren), we will contact you separately by email.
4) Complete Application Forms and Submit Required Documents
When you are submitting your application you will be asked to complete the following forms for each applicant:
- Application for Admission
- Health History and Certificate of Examination Form (Part II to be completed by a physician)
- Home language survey
- Student support services evaluation form
- For applicants to high school - Math placement recommendation
- For applicants to middle school and high school - Two confidential recommendation forms (to be completed and returned directly by recommending English teacher and other faculty member countersigned by principal or head of school)
- For applicants to elementary school - Confidential recommendation by a classroom teacher to be countersigned by the school principal or head of school
Besides these forms, you will be asked to provide the following items:
- Passport-size photograph
- Copy of passport photo page
- Official school reports or transcripts from current school (Applicants to YIS high school are requested to provide transcripts for the three most recent academic years; elementary and middle school applicants should provide records for at least one academic year.)
- For applicants whose parents are both Japanese citizens - Letter from parents stating reason for applying to international school
Note: Some of the application materials will be provided online as downloadable documents in pdf format.
5) Pay Application Fee
A non-refundable application fee is due and payable at the time of application. Please note that applications are not considered complete – and therefore the screening process may not begin – until payment of the application fee is confirmed.
The non-refundable application fee is 20,000 yen per applicant if paid by bank transfer or by cash in person at our business office. If paying by bank transfer, you will be asked to send us a Notice of Payment by Bank Transfer form together with a photocopy of your bank's money transfer receipt. You may also choose to pay online by major credit card (Mastercard or Visa), in which case the non-refundable online application fee is 22,000 yen per applicant, which incorporates processing charges. Please note that credit card payment is available only if you are submitting your application online.
6) Admissions Office Informs You of Decision
As described in the Application Timing and Notification and Confirmation sections of our Admissions Policy, notification of admissions decisions for applicants newly arriving in Japan will usually be within two weeks of receipt of complete application forms and payment of the application fee. For applicants already residing in Japan, notification will be as shown in the table under Application Timing.
If your application is accepted, we will send you a formal letter of acceptance along with an enrollment agreement and invoice for the non-refundable registration fee, which is due within 30 days of invoice date.
7) Respond to Acceptance Offer
Once you receive an acceptance letter, we request that you contact the Admissions Office by phone or email within ten days to confirm your intention to enroll your child(ren). In addition, in order to reserve a space for your child(ren), payment of the one-time, non-refundable registration fee of 800,000 yen per student is due within 30 days of receipt of invoice, or before the student’s first day of attendance, whichever comes first. Please see Fees and Financial Regulations for complete details.
Again, thank you for your interest in YIS. Should you have any questions regarding the application process, please feel free to contact our Admissions Office.